Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Waking up in Omaha

The title of this says 'Waking up in Omaha'... That should be 'Woken up in Omaha'....

I would say the number one challenge of the train is sleep,  especially if you do not have a sleeper car.. which I do not. To maximize my attempt at sleep I brought earplugs and for lack of a better word.. a blindfold... Put these on last night and sat semi reclined to sleep.  I dosed off and upon waking checked the time expecting it to be 5 or 6 am after a long sleep.. Well it was 11:30 after 30 minutes of nap... During that nap the person next to me found a couple empty seats so I now had two seats to utilize.. I took advantage and stretched out.. OK curled up in the fetal position...  and with blindfold and earplugs in place I laid my head down on the hard arm of the seat (which by the way amplifies all the sounds of the train!)

This did the trick and I slept for a few hours... I could have used a few more,  but there was a tap on my shoulder.. My first response was to fumble to take the blindfold off.. I was then staring into a flashlight and someone holding a wallet.. I still have the earplugs in.... The wallet looked just like mine so figured it must have fell out during that 'sound' sleep.. Then I wondered why my wallet had a Silver badge on it.. This was a good time to remove the earplugs... The wallet was not mine.  Seems it belonged a very large plain clothes police officer.. I am now thinking with a drug specialty.. He and his fellow officers quizzed me pretty extensively as the blindfold, earplugs,  and fetal position must have been a red flag of a drug smuggler.. I waited for the cavity search,  but no luck..

Turns out I was not the guy they were looking for and they moved on.. So that is why I was woken this morning...

As we ride through Nebraska there are non stop fields of corn.  When people said there would be a lot of corn here they were not kidding.. Also.. Lots of football fields

Play starts today with Heather,  Ben,  and Dima playing at 1:00.. Will do some updating tonight..

No comments:

Post a Comment